Pages

June 3, 2011

These Are People Who Died--DIED!

Rest in Peace, James Arness. You may have been the face of Gunsmoke for 20 years on television, but to me you will always live--and live and live--as the eponymous otherworldly terror in The Thing (From Another World) [1951]. In a film chockfull of Howard Hawks' trademark clipped dialogue and fast-talking characters, you stole the show with your silent promise of death. I realize you went on to earn your golden spurs in the Shitkicker Hall of Fame with Gunsmoke and How the West Was Won, but to me your career begins and ends in the frozen Arctic. But now the geiger counter reads zero, and the plasma stores are safe. You have gone to the great beyond, sleeping dormant until it is safe to rise again. God speed, James. I hope you find happiness in the great beyond. But if you don't mind, I will continue to await your return. I will continue to watch the skies....

No comments:

Post a Comment